Knit! Dive!

I knit. And I scuba dive. So... Yeah.

30 November 2005

Home!

It's good to be back here in Albuquerque. We had a good trip home. I got a lot of knitting done. I got the rest of the yarn for Shane's socks, so I finished those up. I also finished my grandmother's Christmas socks, made my sister's, and started on Shane's brother's. In Columbus I picked up some yarn from Yarns Downtown, a new yarn shop there. I don't remember the name, but it was Italian and had a panda on the label. It's red with some other colors for fun. I knit it up in to a scarf in about 3 hours.
The shop was nice, big, and well lit. I picked up some Cascade 220 for some felted clogs, in addition to the yarn above. She had a lot of expensive stuff, like Rowan, and a lot of "froofroo" yarns. There was very little sock yarn. The selection of needles was good. She's definitely going for luxury. There was room for sitting and knitting, as well as groups and classes. The owner is a fairly new knitter, and it kind of shows in the inventory. Also, if she had wound my Cascade any tighter, it might have broken. The store is definitely filling a need.
On Friday, we set out to OKC. Nothing eventful there. Then on to Columbus on Saturday. Still nothing special. Just lots of knitting and driving. Sunday, we went to church with the family. Sunday night we went to Vanelli's in Tupelo for my birthday (which was really this past Saturday). Mmmm veal picatta and calamari. Always good.
Monday, we headed down to my grandmother's house in Escatawpa. It wasn't as bad as I had expected. She has most of the drywall back up. Not much furniture, and some of the appliances are on their last leg. We dropped off the washing machine there. We stayed there Monday night.
Tuesday, we headed down to the other grandparents', or what was left. They had removed most of the debris. There was some linoleum left from the kitchen, and some tile from the downstairs bathroom, but that was pretty much it. My grandfather's brother who lives across the street had a FEMA trailer on his slab. Tuesday night, we headed up to the camp to see the grandparents. They are doing well there, although my grandmother could use a dryer.
Wednesday, we had lunch with Shane's mom, and took her to Wal-Mart. The grandparents insisted that we invite her for Thanksgiving dinner, so we did.
Thursday, Shane went to get his mom and bring her down to the camp for dinner. She seemed to enjoy herself. We had a pretty good turnout. Lots of food. Lots of family. My parents drove down for the day. Thursday night, we dropped Shane's mom off and headed back to my parents' house for the night and Friday. Saturday morning, it was back on the road, to OKC, another uneventful drive. Then Sunday, back here. Around an hour from Amarillo, it started snowing and kept up until the NM state line. We did get to see a little winter. It was nice.
It was good to see the family. We didn't go towards Gulfport/Biloxi. Neither of us really felt up to trying to navigate. Maybe in the Spring.
Back at work, which sucks, as usual. Not much going on. I think I finally finished one of the floor plans. We'll see about the other one today. I'll probably sketch it out and see where we need to go and get more detailed tomorrow.
S showed up at work smelling strongly of alcohol. Apparently it's not the first time, either. I went and told manager. We'll what, if anything, happens. She'll probably say she was drinking last night. That's fine, but get a shower and brush your teeth!