Knit! Dive!

I knit. And I scuba dive. So... Yeah.

11 October 2005

Sensational Knitted Socks, Charlene Schurch



I recently finished a pair of socks from the book Sensational Knitted Socks by Charlene Schurch. I made these using the beaded rib pattern, in the five stitch rib patterns section. I used the toe-up method. They fit very well. I wear a US size 8.5 shoe, and my foot is 9 inches long. The cuff is one inch of 2X2 rib. The leg is 3 inches long. The pattern doesn't exactly show up well in the photos, due to the nature of the yarn. I think that the pattern was well written. The yarn is Fantomas by Lang Yarns. I used US0 Inox needles.
This is a great book if you are just learning to knit socks. She explains the parts of the sock very well, as well as options in construction. The division of stitch patterns by the number of stitches, ribbing, cabling, and color patterns is another great feature. The "class sock" is a nice concept, in that it shows the construction of a sock, and uses large needles and worsted weight yarn to make it easy to see the stitches. I also like the sizing guides for men's, women's, and children's socks. It's nice to have an easy reference for these things.
Overall, I think this is an excellent book. However, there are, as always, things that could be improved. The toe-up directions are only given for the 5-stitch rib patterns. It would be beneficial to have these directions available for all of the patterns. She only shows one way of making the short row toe and heel, and it involves P3 tog tbl. This is not the easiest double decrease to perform. Also, there are other ways of making short rows, such as Japanese short rows and yarn-over short rows.